The NSW Regional Cancer Research Network’s Research Starter Grants are designed to grow research capacity and capabilities within the Network’s footprint by supporting new and emerging researchers, including medical and health professionals, to undertake translational cancer research projects.
Is this scheme for you?
- 'Emerging researchers' (including health and medical professionals who have recently commenced their research careers) who are working in the geographical area covered by the Central Coast, Hunter New England, Mid-North Coast and Northern NSW Local Health Districts are the intended recipients of this funding.
- 'Emerging researchers' are defined as those that have not held previous research funding of over $20,000 and have not previously been supported by Network funding.
- Applications must be submitted by a single Chief Investigator (CI). While applications are only accepted from a single CI they can include a Research Team. There is strong encouragement for multi-disciplinary and cross-regional collaborations, particularly those led by or inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander researchers.
- The CI and all listed Team Members must be NSW Regional Cancer Research Network members at the time of application. Click here to join.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens, permanent residents or have requisite work visas in place to enable satisfactory completion of the research project.
Funding Support Available
Applicants can request research support to a maximum of $30,000 for 12 months. Successful applicants must commence the award by 1 July 2024.
In addition, the Network will provide access to a Senior Research Partner (SRP) who can provide support in developing and implementing the research project and assist recipients in achieving their research goals and maximising the impact of their project. Learn more about the professional research support options offered to our members within the Network.
Need help preparing your application?
We're here to assist you! The NSWRCRN are hosting two Zoom drop-in sessions offering an overview and guidance on the scheme:
- 12.30pm – 1.00pm Thursday 8 February
- 12.30pm – 1.00pm Monday 4 March
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Network members also have the option to submit a direct request for professional research support through our online platform. Our experienced team of Senior Research Partners will contact you and can provide assistance in developing and refining your application.
Visit the scheme webpage for further information and to download the scheme documents.
Applications close 27 March 2024